[Mesorah] כי אין הצר שוה בנזק המלך

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Fri Mar 18 14:03:44 PDT 2022

The best mss., closest to Ben Asher, all have a hataph qomatz.
In a maspretic treatise close the the time of Ben Asher, the writer notes that everyone pronounces the word with a hataph qomatz, and the only difference between scribes is whether they write it or not.
Ashkenaz had no access to the mss. close to Ben Asher, only to those that wrote just a shwa, and so no one realized that it was originally pronounced with a qomatz sign.
The Septuagint Greek version of the name also has an o in that place, not that one can rely on Greek versions of names for very much.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union

Voice and Fax (212) 613-8330        e-mail mandels at ou.org