[Mesorah] כי אין הצר שוה בנזק המלך

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 19:07:30 PDT 2022

R' David Cohen wrote:

> If you're already going to do nezek/neizek, there are plenty
> of kamatz/patach variants, too.

And all sorts of other variants as well. I'm quite an am haaretz compared
to the other members of this group, but it was many years ago that I
noticed two different ways of vowelizing "Mordechai": the daled can have a
shva-na (like in ArtScroll) or a chataf-kamatz (like in Koren and Simanim).

R' Michael Poppers wrote:

> I would surmise that our m'sorah is trying to capture a certain
> sound that, orthographically, was denoted by some as a segol
> and by others as a tzeirah.

So too, I would surmise that the name "Mordechai" contains a certain sound
that, orthographically, was denoted by some as a shva-na and by others as a
chataf-kamatz. Same sound, different ways of spelling it. To read the name
twice, once with a bland shva, and then with a slight vowel, seems to bring
our love of textualism to yet a higher (and dare I say sillier) level.
(Glad I haven't heard anyone do that!)

Akiva Miller