[Mesorah] כי אין הצר שוה בנזק המלך

David Cohen ddcohen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 13:34:02 PDT 2022

According to the list in תורת הקורא (
http://beinenu.com/sites/default/files/alonim/165_58_77.3.pdf), the form
with the segol appears in all 4 of the Ashkenazi manuscripts on the list
and in some of the Sefaradi ones.  As far as printings go, before Koren it
was in Heidenheim and Ginsburg.  Letteris has the tzeirei, though (as do
all of the reliable Tiberian manuscripts).

Personally, I think (as per the articles of Rav Breuer ז"ל and Prof.
Penkower ילחט"א) that even the double readings of להרג/ולהרג and
בפניהם/לפניהם are superfluous.  I do those because there are people in the
tzibbur who expect them, and I realize that there are different views on
changing minhagim based on newly discovered evidence, but I think that
adding more double readings is a bit much.  If you're already going to do
nezek/neizek, there are plenty of kamatz/patach variants, too.

For anybody interested in these sorts of variants (mostly in nikkud and
te'amim), the תורת הקורא has this sort of apparatus (covering many
manuscripts and the most influential printed editions) on every parasha.
You can subscribe by writing to tameytora at gmail.com.

-- David