[Mesorah] three consecutive shvas

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Mon Aug 23 10:20:45 PDT 2021

No, do not contact Artscroll. This could be an acutal form.
One of the first things you learn when you learn Aramaic is that nouns have three forms.  The "absolue" and the "s'mikhut" forms, as in Hebrew, plus the "definite" form, which is the equivalent of the Hebrew plus the "he' hay'di‘ah," except that there is no definite word (like "the" in English or like "he' hay'di‘ah"), but rather a suffix.  So for a masculine singular noun like "melekh," the definite form is "malkho," meaning "the king" (in the plural, the three forms would be Malkhin (kings), malkhei (kings of) and malkhayyo (the kings).
For a feminine noun like "widow," there are three forms: "arm'lo" (a widow), "armalto" (the widow), and "arm'lat" (widow of).
And so both forms with the tav and without the tav exist.
However, in these three p'suqim we can determine which form is the one that Unq'los would have used, because the word "widow" comes together with "orphan" and "ger." Either all three words must be definite or all three non-definite; you cannot because of the clause mix up forms (it would be like saying "the orphan, a widow, and the ger). Since the words for orphan and convert are both the definite forms in Aramaic ("giyoro, yatmo" vs. indefinite "giyor, y'tam"), then the form for "widow" MUST be 'armalto (vs. 'arm'lo").  And that indeed is the form found in the early mss.  and is the Teimani version.
As I said, the printed version of the Targum in Europe was set up by someone to whom Aramaic was like Greek, an unknown language. So you find mistakes everywhere.  I grew up with the printed editions of chumashim, same as most other people on this list, and I can testify that there is almost no example of a pasuq with more than a couple of words without a mistake in the printed Aramaic.
You can see yourself, by comparing the regular printed editions of the Targum to the good versions found in Torat Chayim and in Miqra'ot G'dolot haKeter.
And now you have answered my doubt about what Artscroll used.  As I suspected, they use the version (I cannot really call it "the Targum") used in the printed editions, mistakes and all.
So you cannot rely on the Targum printed in Artscroll for anything.
Now I realized that there actually is an Artscroll chumash in my house with the English translation.
Regarding these p'suqim you see another impossible form.  The word for orphan in Aramaic is y'tom (with a qomatz)/yatmo (the definite form). Artscroll has an imaginary form "yittammo."

You perhaps thought that I would give you a short answer.  HAH.  As with Torah, if you really want to understand what is going on in languages, there are no short answers.  Torah is complicated, and so are languages.  Both contain elements of the Divine.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel