[Mesorah] KEAN, NA, VE'ATA

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 18:00:59 PST 2019

We have spoken about how "na" means "now" and is also used for emphasis.
I wonder if the same might apply to "hinay", which means "here" and is also
used for emphasis.
Consider the following examples, all of them from Bereshis:

12:11 - Hinay na yadati - Look, I do know
18:2 - Hinay shlosha anashim - Behold! Three men were...
21:23 - Hish'ava li bElokim hayna - Swear to me by G-d here and now
22:7 - Hinay ha'esh v'haetzim - Here are the fire and the wood
24:51 - Hinay Rivka l'fanecha - Here is Rivka in front of you
37:19 - Hinay baal hachalomos halazeh ba - Here comes the dreammaster
44:28 - V'lo r'eeseev ad hayna - I have not seen him to this point

Thoughts?

Akiva Miller