[Mesorah] Kean, Kadun, Na

Aharon Gal galsaba at aol.com
Mon Nov 18 07:16:15 PST 2019

> that the development from the temporal sense to the wider meanings<
I wonder if the same happened to the words K’an and Kdon.
In the Tanach the word “K’an” as it appears in Ezra and Daniel only, means “now”.
I did not find the word “Kadun”, only in the targum called “Targum Yonatan”.
A person that speaks Aramaic told me that both words mean “now”.
The origin of the words (he said) are K’IDAN” .

It looks like these words in the old days and also today mean “Now”.
When we read the source and the commentaries, there are verses in the Tanach where it is clear that the meaning of “NA”
is “please”, or at least a word that comes to soften a command, still the Targumim write “k’an” or “kadun”.

It is hard for me to understand that the Targumim understood almost all “na” as “now”.
Do these two words widen to the meaning of baksha or idun (soften, moderate)?

Thanks,

Aharon