[Mesorah] Speaking of Temani customs

Ira L. Jacobson laser at ieee.org
Wed Apr 17 23:34:02 PDT 2019

At 19:53 17-04-19  +0000, Mandel, Seth stated the following:
>knowledge of Aramaic was nil in medieval Europe. Anything composed
>in Aramaic from that period is full of errors, sometimes quite
>serious ones. This is not a problem confined to the afterSeder
>compositions, but covers so many things.

This is interesting reasoning.  Let us assume that the figure stated
for ignorance of Aramaic among Jews at the stated time is accurate.

In England in the mid-1500s the illiteracy rate in the English
language in England was about 75 percent for men and 95 percent for
women.  From that I can conclude that William Shakespeare's writings
are full of errors, sometimes quite serious ones.

Or not?

During General Grant's "Western Campaign," he
issued "General Order #11," which evicted all Jews
from his area of operations.
(NOT his finest moment)
mailto: laser at ieee.org