[Mesorah] Speaking of Temani customs

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 08:16:52 PDT 2019

I see a gigantic difference between Medieval Aramaic vs Shakespearean
English.

The latter was a spoken language where the grammar and meaning was
commonplace, even if only a few could read and write. The illiteracy may
have led to rampant spelling errors, but that's about it.

The former was a foreign language, which people were familiar with only to
whatever extent they knew gemara; I can all too easily imagine how their
writing must have been riddled with ignorant errors.

Akiva Miller