[Mesorah] Fwd: Speaking of Temani customs

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 22:10:42 PDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:53 PM Mandel, Seth via Mesorah <
mesorah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> This is basically what I said, that there is no such Aramaic word, and the
> form middays is an impossible.
> The Academy did not talk about the other factor: knowledge of Aramaic was
> nil in medieval Europe. Anything composed in Aramaic from that period is
> full of errors, sometimes quite serious ones. This is not a problem
> confined to the afterSeder compositions, but covers so many things.
> I have said often that Koh Ribbon sung on Friday night contains heretical
> material in the Aramaic. I hate to say it, but this is one case where it is
> better that the people who sing it don’t know Aramaic or what the song
> means. Better ignorance than heresy.

Is this so-called heretical material in the original, or has it been
introduced by changes to the nikkud by printers over the centuries?

(For example, "heivat bera" instead "heivat bara" which RMB mentioned
earlier is *not* in the original. (This particular error is not as far as I
can tell a heresy)
http://www.hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=45788&st=&pgnum=12)