[Mesorah] Fw: Paane'ach

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Mar 19 10:02:51 PDT 2017

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union

Voice (212) 613-8330     Fax (212) 613-0718     e-mail mandels at ou.org

________________________________
From: Mandel, Seth
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2017 1:02 PM
To: Akiva Miller
Subject: Re: [Mesorah] Paane'ach

Such a root appears NOWHERE in the entire T'NaKh nor in any other Semitic language.

Its presence in the siddur would not be surprising, since the m'forshim interpreted it, and the siddur uses all sorts of non-Biblical words common in L'shon Chazal.

Given the fact that Tzafnat Pa'aneach has a clear Egyptian meaning, it seems unreasonable to posit that even Tzafnat is Hebrew, but rather that the entire phrase is Egyptian.  I would make no sense to use one Hebrew form (the form of Tzafnat is not known either for a Hebrew noun) followed by an Egyptian word.

There are Assyrian loan words in Biblical Hebrew.  I do not see the difficulty in admitting that something labeled as Egyptian was indeed Egyptian.

The question is greater regarding the name Pinchas.  It is not labeled as an Egyptian name, and yet it is clearly not Semitic, and there was an Egyptian name Pin'ches.