[Mesorah] Fw: Paane'ach

David Cohen via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Mar 19 10:40:31 PDT 2017

As to the original question, I fully concur with RSM (who is hardly in need
of my concurrence).

But tangentially, this got me curious about the particular phrase
"mefane'ach neelamim."  Besides just using the verb "lefa'aneach" in the
kerova for Parashas Parah, R' Elazar haKalir used the exact phrase
"mefa'aneach neelamim" in the piyut "Melech Elyon" that we say at musaf on
the first day of Rosh haShanah.  The phrase seems to have already been
known as part of "Nishmat" in Spain as early as the Ramban and Rabenu
Bechaye, both of whom mention it in their perush on "Tzafnat Pa'aneach"
(though it doesn't appear in the Rambam or the Abudraham).

(For another interesting take on its inclusion in the Sefaradi version of
Nishmat, see Yalkut Yosef, Tefilah Volume 2, the "Nusacha'ot haTefilah"
section at the end, se'if 96.)

Does anybody know if the phrase appears, to the best of our knowledge
(presumably from the Cairo Geniza), in versions of "Nishmat" in use in
Minhag Eretz Yisrael, with which R' Elazar haKalir would have been
familiar?  If not, is there some common midrashic source from which
everyone got this phrase?

-- D.C.