[Mesorah] Fw: Paane'ach

Mandel, Seth via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Mar 19 11:55:16 PDT 2017

One cannot discuss why a person was given a certain name without sources.

However, one can always discuss what language names come from.  In many cases, the origin of a name is clear,  both because the name has a meaning in that language and because onomastica and other sources record the name as having been used. Names such as 'Elisha‘ or Y'sha‘ya have both clear Semitic roots and are clearly were used.  Names such as Mupim and Guni do not have clear roots, but were used.

The name Pi-neches(-) both means something in Egyptian, and its usage as a name is attested.

I have no idea, nor do I know of any source that discusses why he was given that name.

It may even be that it was similar to the name Alexander: there may have been a tzaddik among the Egyptians that did some good things for the family, and so the name was adopted into Hebrew, like Alexander.  So the fact that the name is Egyptian in origin does not necessarily mean that it was given as an Egyptian name, but rather as hakkoras hatov.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union

Voice (212) 613-8330     Fax (212) 613-0718     e-mail mandels at ou.org