[Mesorah] New Shtick

Yaakov Gorlin ygorlin at msn.com
Sun Feb 26 12:48:33 PST 2012

The problem of standing with one's back to the sefer torah also comes up during the whole laining on weeks when there are two (or three) sifrei torah.  The Mishna Berurah addresses this at the  very end of 147:s"k 29:  he says that the one sitting with the sefer should be careful to move a bit to the side ("l'hisrahek k'tzas min hatzad") so that he will not be holding the sefer behind those reading the torah.

BTW, he also  mentions that's he's against the practice of having a small child (Na'ar katan) hold the torah -- it should at least be a "ben da'as".  He does not mention the idea of the benches with holes that can hold the torah without a human being.   I have seen such benches, but have not seen them used -- Rav Moshe has a teshuva about that (O"H vol 1, 38) -- he's very anti.

Yaakov Gorlin