[Mesorah] kodashim

Seth Mandel sethm37 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 22 06:50:44 PST 2008

As surely people must have noticed by now, I care not a whit in matters of language what "people," "one," or "no one" do/does nowadays.  I am me'id, and I am sure that two of the other elders in this group (R EMT and R DB) that Jewish children when I was young were taught qomatz-alef o, pasach-alef a.  I was never taught about patach-alef.  I am not about to change girso d'yanquso because of what modern teachers say -- especially since there is no such pair of terms as "qamatz-patach" in Jewish tradition.  Ashk'nazim always said qomatz-pasach, and S'faradim said qametz-patach, but in niqqud and for those who lengthened the qametz, the first vowel in each of the names was a qametz, so it would be qaame.s paata.h.  And the Teimanim, of course pronounced them qome.s and potha.h.

That having been said, I admit to large inconsistencies in my missive about how to transcribe various Hebrew words and terms.  As I was writing I did not know which system to use.  If my computer only had some diacritical marks I would use a better system consistantly, but still most people would not know what I was talking about.  Then again, that would probably be for the good, it would keep me out of trouble and my words woul not end up insulting people whom I hold in high regard.

From: T613K at aol.comDate: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:28:17 -0500Subject: Re: [Mesorah] kodashimTo: sethm37 at hotmail.comCC: remt at juno.com; mesorah at lists.aishdas.org