[Mesorah] kodashim

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Feb 21 17:28:17 PST 2008

In a message dated 2/21/2008 7:21:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
sethm37 at hotmail.com writes:

IOW, the sound pronounced /a/ would be represented by two separate digraphs,
the "qomatz" and the "pasach,"

As to  what the ge'aya/meteg actually represents,

R' Seth,

Even though I know dikduk only a little and trop not at all, I  found your
little essay about the history of Hebrew pronunciation very  interesting and
erudite -- I always enjoy your scholarly disquisitions.

I have only two little quibbles.  One, no one calls the horizontal bar  (the
"ah" sound) a pasach.  I don't know why, but even Ashkenazim call it a
patach.  Two, if you are already using Ashkanazic transliteration, then it  should
be "meseg," not "meteg."

How do I know these things?  Mimetics, my friend. With thanks to  you for
that lovely and useful word.

Have a good Shabbos.

--Toby
--Toby  Katz