[Mesorah] Lashon Tanach vs. Lashon Hazal

Zvi Lampel hlampel at thejnet.com
Thu Sep 20 14:39:11 PDT 2007

Thu, 20 Sep 2007 from: "Ira L. Jacobson" laser at ieee.org

> What does one do who was raised on Birnbaum's addition of "Elokeni
vElokei avotenu" on a weekday festival, now that he prays from a
siddur that does not have that? ...<

R' Birnbaum in his introduction cites R' Yaakov Emden as his source for declaring the phrase a printer's error. In my younger years, this was a definitive proof. But when I stood at the Amud in my yeshiva and omitted the phrase, my Rosh Yeshiva corrected me. In private, I explained my relaince on Rav Emden, but he was not convinced, saying something like, "and all the other Gedolim were not aware of this?!" Since then, I retruned to saying the phrase. But R' Birnbaums's major influence on me was his philosophy of translating in contemporary language and clearness of thought, and that I have never abandoned.

Zvi Lampel