[Mesorah] Lashon Tanach vs. Lashon Hazal

Elazar M. Teitz remt at juno.com
Mon Sep 24 17:12:02 PDT 2007

<FWIW the  Regalim paragrpah of  EL. Vel. Avoseinu  Melech Rachaman should imho NEVER have retzei bimnuchoseinu. {R. Artscroll is ambiguous.}  Both  Birnbaum and Heidenheim consider this a  paragraph about Reglaim and the reference here to Shabbos is out of place. It belongs ONLY to the final paragraph "v'hasi'einu which has a combined theme>

     The L'vush agrees with you not to mention Shabbos. Nusach Sfard says it.  ArtScroll pushes Nusach Sfard into its Ashk'naz editions in several places. In addition to this one, they push for "V'seiareiv l'fanecha" in place of "V'se'erav alecha" before Birchas Kohanim, either as the only nusach (machzorim) or as a yesh omrim (in the all-Hebrew siddur).  I questioned them about it when it first appeared, and they referred me to an Ibn Ezra, cited in the Otzar Hat'filos siddur.  However, they misread it -- IE says the very opposite, that v'se'erav is the correct version, based on the pasuk "ye'erav alav sichi."  Thus, they _should_ have "v'se'erav" as the exclusive Ashk'naz nusach (since that's how it appears in virtually all Ashk'naz sources), and have it as a yesh omrim in the Sfard one, because of that IE.

EMT