[Mesorah] Lashaon Tanach vs. Lashon Hazal

Seth Mandel sethm37 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 11 12:03:52 PDT 2007

I quoted gashem vs. geshem for a reason; that was a clear change in nusach
hat'fillo.
However, gefen vs. gafen is not so clear.  Although it is clear that the
normal 2nd p. masc. sing. suffix is -akh, and that the normal 1st p. pl.
pronoun is anu, and so they appear in all mss., l'shon HaZaL may have used
pausal forms like gafen (and even geshem, though not in the middle of a
b'rokho).  Evidence from the mss. is by no means clear.  So don't cite gafen
gefen as any proof, although it is clear that the original nusach Ashk'naz
was gefen.
Ironically, you cite modim anahnu lakh.  That is one of the cases where
there is a clear reference to the T'NaKh, which is why it is not modim anu.
I am interested in facts, not recommending whether people change to daven
the way that HaZaL originally intended.  The facts are pretty uniform in the
mss., whether S'faradi, Ashk'nazi, Teimani, or other.  It was na'aritzakh
and naqdishakh, whichever order and whichever nusakh.