[Mesorah] Lashon Tanach vs. Lashon Hazal

Ira L. Jacobson laser at ieee.org
Thu Sep 20 05:20:14 PDT 2007

At 22:26 19-09-07 +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com stated the following:

>In our context, all you need to do to change the siddur is to become
>a popular siddur publisher. ArtScroll decided to go with "umorid
>hageshem" and "v'sayarev l'fanecha" (among many others) even in
>Nusach Ashkenaz, and in another few decades no one will ever know
>there had been another way.
>
>In fairness, I should admit that I pick on ArtScroll because -- to
>my generation -- they're the new kids on the block.

Certainly not on my block.  In my town they are unheard of.  Even
their gemara is known as Schottenstein.

>I was raised on Birnbaum, which therefore seems totally normal and
>standard to me; I'll bet that people older than me can make similar
>comments about Birnbaum's siddur if they wanted to.

What does one do who was raised on Birnbaum's addition of "Elokeni
vElokei avotenu" on a weekday festival, now that he prays from a
siddur that does not have that?  What about the lack of "HAshalom" in
qaddish?  Or "vah" rarther than "vam" in Shabbat minha?  Or "hanah
lanu" in birkat hamazon for Shabbat?

IRA L. JACOBSON
mailto:laser at ieee.org