[Mesorah] Fwd: Lashon Tanach vs. Lashon Hazal

Seth Mandel sethm37 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 16:18:08 PDT 2007

Far be it from me to take issue with my elder and superior.  But two half cents worth:
1) if one counts vocalized mss. of siddurim and payet as sources, then there are quite a few.
2) The Teimanim, especially the Baladi, who share R. DB view of changing things based on mystical sources, have always said (at least according the mss. that I have seen) haggeshem but hattol (with a qomatz).  They also have a qomatz in similar words, like z'mon and 'om.  I think that their tradition of L'shon HaZaL held that even words with doubling in the last consonant have a qomatz in the singular.
OK, perhaps only a quarter pence worth.
Seth