[Mesorah] Cholov Yisroel or Chaleiv Yisroel?

Ira L. Jacobson laser at ieee.org
Tue Sep 11 07:27:09 PDT 2007

At 09:37 11-09-07 +0200, Minden has pointed out that biblical Hebrew
is not the only form of Hebrew (or put differently, the report of the
demise of the Hebrew language was premature):

>In short: no loshenkoudesh -> no LQ grammar. Wrong approach.
>
>Longer version: There are several layers involved, for instance l.
>chachomem, which isn't corrupted LQ, but a dialect different in time and place

Post-biblical Hebrew (also) uses halav (hataf-patah, patah) as the
nismakh of halav (qamatz, qamatz).

See, for example:

http://www.slovar.co.il/fish2.php
http://www.milk.org.il/hebrew/info/kids/shlav/info/info-001.htm
http://benyehuda.org/regelson/akedat.html

Also note the Even Shoshan dictionary, which gives both halev
(hataf-patah tzere) and halav (hataf-patah, patah) as nismakh forms.

The following discusses very interestingly the difference between
biblical and post-biblical Hebrew:

"[T]he tradition of Israel's Sages of old was to read words derived
from the Scriptures in their own given way, while the same words
derived from the Talmud or in the other, diverse exegetical
literature (known as the Midrash) were sometimes read in a different
way.  For this reason the Talmud (Hullin 137.b) says explicitly:
"When Isse the son of Haenei went up [there], he found Rabbi Yohanan
teaching [a certain Mishnah] to the creation, saying, rahelim (i.e.,
the Hebrew word for "ewes"), etc. He said to him, 'Teach it [by its
Mishnaic name], raheloth! (also meaning "ewes")' He replied, '[What I
say is] as it is written [in the Scriptures]: Ewes (rahelim),
two-hundred.' (Gen. 32:15) He answered him, 'The language of the
Torah is by itself, and the language employed by the Sages is by
itself!' "  My emphasis.
 From http://www.temani.net/http/sprot-timan/12.htm

IRA L. JACOBSON
mailto:laser at ieee.org