[Mesorah] Cholov Yisroel or Chaleiv Yisroel?

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Tue Sep 11 08:22:27 PDT 2007

Re: <<Also note the Even Shoshan dictionary, which gives
both halev (hataf-patah tzere) and halav (hataf-patah,
patah) as nismakh forms.>>

Upon reading your e-mail quoted above, I checked with my
copy of Even Shoshan and found that it does NOT give the
hataf-patach patach (hp-p) form as s'mikhut.

It has hp-p as the aramaic word for milk.  It has hp-tz as
the s'mikhut and gives a three examples. halev-beitzim,
haleiv-yonim and halev-tzippor.

When the s'mikhut has a suffix indicating the person, his,
her your,etc. then it becomes hp-p. The entry for s'mikhut
is given as halev, chalavo.

BTW, my last posting with halev hagoyyim from Yeshayahu is
certainly the most appropriate one for this thread.  Of
course it is only Tanakh and not l'shon chaza"l.

kvh"t,

David