[Mesorah] Shalom Aleikhem

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Oct 24 13:34:46 PDT 2006

In a message dated 10/24/2006 3:48:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
hlampel at thejnet.com writes:

:> Is  there a reason why we say ""Shalom Aleikhem"" to individuals, not
:>  ""Shalom Alekha/ayikh""?

I was under the impression that the plural  form was introduced under the
influence of the (German/European?) usage that  considers the plural form a mark
of respect. Do Sephardim also say "Shalom  Aleichem" to individuals?

Zvi Lampel

I believe the Arabic equivalent is also plural -- salaam aleikem even to an
individual, if I'm not mistaken.  So I would guess that Sefardim use the
plural form too.  Just my guess.

[The other day I was in the supermarket when a ditzy non-Jewish woman said
to me, "Sholom aleichem" and then said the same thing to a (non-Jewish)
worker.  She then "explained" to him, "I am sending greetings from my  spirit to
your spirit."  ]

--Toby  Katz