[Avodah] darkei emori

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 01:05:27 PDT 2022

On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 8:14 PM Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 05:33:04PM +0300, Simon Montagu wrote:
> >> Any ideas why chazal chose the specific nation of the emoris to label
> >> darchei haemori, which is a more general prohibition? (as in chukat
> haakum)
>
> > Maybe because they're specified in the pasuk "lo shalem avon haemori"?
>
> <snip>

> So, while RSM's suggestion seems reasonable, it just shifts the question:
> Why use an idiom from a pasuq other than where we actually count the issur
> from?

I don't see this as a question at all. The fact is that the idiom *doesn't*
come from that pasuk, and plenty of Hazal's terms for things don't come
from the relevant pesukim: Avoda zara, for example.

But as Groucho Marx (?) said, if you don't like my theories I have others:
maybe when Hazal said "Emori" they expected us to hear "Romi". This would
fit well with R. Meir's examples in the Sifra: theatres and circuses and
stadiums