[Avodah] darkei emori

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jun 15 10:14:14 PDT 2022

On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 05:33:04PM +0300, Simon Montagu wrote:
>> Any ideas why chazal chose the specific nation of the emoris to label
>> darchei haemori, which is a more general prohibition? (as in chukat haakum)

> Maybe because they're specified in the pasuk "lo shalem avon haemori"?

Bereishis 15:16, in which Hashem talks about our return to Israel being
timed to when the Emori will deserve to be thrown out.

Except that the primary source in the pasuq is Vayiqra 20:23, "Lo seilkhu
bechuqos hagoy asher Ani meshaleiach mipeneikhem..." Which also carries
the implied threat, "because if you do, you won't deserve to stay in
the Land of Israel any more than they did!"

So, while RSM's suggestion seems reasonable, it just shifts the question:
Why use an idiom from a pasuq other than where we actually count the issur
from? (In addition to the use of "chuqas haaku"m", which I assume is a
censorship doctored version of the idiom used in the actual source pasuq.)

Micha Berger                 Life isn't about finding yourself.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   Life is about creating yourself.
Author: Widen Your Tent               - George Bernard Shaw
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF