[Avodah] [Areivim] The conversion controversy

Harry Maryles hmaryles at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 25 13:25:25 PDT 2008

--- On Mon, 8/25/08, Chaim G Steinmetz <cgsteinmetz at juno.com> wrote:

> From: Harry Maryles <hmaryles at yahoo.com>writes

>... Here's an idea. Let's make all these Russian immigrants Avodim.
They

> can sell themselves into Avdus. The Government will have
> pre-designated people to be their owners who will buy them with funds
> awarded to them by the government.?
>
> Those owners will then issue them a Shtar Shichrur and presto, they
> will be Jews according to everyone. No Kabbalas Ol Mitzvos
> required.
> ?
> HM

Actually, an eved knani needs KOM of the mitzvos which he is obligated in
- which are all the mitzvos a woman is obligated in.

I've heard that. But I haven't seen the SA. Does the SA or Nosei Kelim there mention KOM as a voluntary oblligation? What happens if he or she refuses? Do we let them go?

If one captures a slave, is he not automatically given the status of a woman vis-a-vis Mitzvah obligation? This is what I aways assumed when learning those sugyos in the Gemarah dealing with Avosdim.

I can't imagine first asking a slave if he will be Mekabel the Ol Mitzvos  just before we capture him. I thought capturing him made him automatically obligated -  whther he or she likes it or not.

But since I am not familiar with Hilchos Avodim - and you seem to be... please enlighten.

HM

Want Emes and Emunah in your life?

Try this: http://haemtza.blogspot.com/