[Avodah] me-rakdim

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 23:06:53 PDT 2006

I recently saw R. Leff at a wedding and asked him to translate
"kezad merakdim lefnei hakallah". He insisted that merakdim means
to dance. As to Rashi and the answers he interpreted that as
"body language" so that the dancing implied or included some
attitudes.
He also brought the stories of various rabbis dancing with a hadas
in front of the kallah to say that in olden days either the kallah was
with the chatan or minimally accessible by the men.

The previous day I was at another wedding where RAL was present.
As is coming in RZ weddings they bring the kallah to part of
the men's dancing and I noticed that he continued dancing about
both the chattan and kallah together. So he saw nothing wrong with that.

--
Eli Turkel