[Avodah] 13 Middot

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Sun Aug 27 14:15:19 PDT 2006

There exists a ma'hloqet rishonim about how to count the 13 Attributes of
Divine Retribution (more correct nomenclature that ... Mercy, since it
includes Din, as well). Rashi's scheme, mentioned also by Rabbenu Tam and
Rabbi Eli'ezer Rokeach is well known, the other one comes from Rabbenu Nissim
and, apparently, Rambam. Both opinions are recorded by Tos. Rosh haShanah
17b.

The essential differences between the two schemes is whether to count "HaShem
Hashem E-l" as one (RN) or three attributes (Rashi, RT) and whether to
count "lo yenakeh (lesheeinam shavim)" as part of the 13 (RN).

However, all machzorim and siddurim that show Tashlikh with corresponding 13
attributes count them according to a 3rd scheme. That one starts like Rabbenu
Nissim, but instead of counting nakeh twice and also including "lo yenakeh",
it divides erekh apayim and notzer chessed laalafim into two attributes each.
This scheme is attributed to the Ari (so say Rebbe Scroll, and indeed, that
is the way a highly Ari-Kabbalistically acquaintance of mine teaches the 13
Middot), though I have no source to study this.

1) Can anyone explain the logic behind splitting erekh apayim and notzer
chessed laalafim, respectively?
2) Why is it, that the Ari's scheme particularly caught on for Tashlikh, even
as the same ma'hzorim will use Rashi & RT's scheme for seli'hot?
3) Where is the Ari's scheme first recorded (I assume in 'Etz 'Hayim)?
4) Can anyone mail me a reference, or if possible, a scan/excerpt from etext?

Yasher koach,

Arie Folger