[Mesorah] Malka - Is it always "The King", or sometimes it can be just "King"

Yitzhak Ajzner yitzhakajz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 03:51:56 PDT 2023

Babylonian Aramaic, that in which the Babylonian Talmud is written in, adds an aleph to ALL of its nouns.

This makes it somewhat similar to Russian, but the opposite. Russian never has a definite article (I think they don’t have indefinite either); Babylonian Aramaic always has one. It comes to the same thing: you can’t know if the word includes what is added by the definite article.

King = מלכא

The king = מלכא

Same thing.

As for Biblical Aramaic, Targumim and other dialects, I’m not as sure, but certainly one would need to be careful to read too much in to the presence of the aleph at the end of the word.

Hope this helps.

Yitzhak