[Mesorah] The word "Bekirvach"

galsaba at aol.com galsaba at aol.com
Tue Feb 14 05:57:02 PST 2023

As of 31:12, probably the Nusach that Artscroll had is the same as what I saw on Sefaria. "Bekirvayich". The letter Yod before the Chaf.  On Mikraoth Gedoloth Bar Ilan, and also on Tikun Korim Simanim there is no Yod. Actually, using MK Bar Ilan it never comes with Yod anywhere.
It makes sense that here in Devarim, as HaShem asks Moshe to talk to all Bene Yisreal, it will refer to Cities. But in Shemos, as HaShem talks to each one, singles, then Artscroll understood as single.
As for Devarim 5:14, my artscroll shows it without Yod, and indeed, also here Hashem talks to each one, so it would be expected. I dont have Shemot with Unkelos translated to English. It is not clear to me why they translated to Cities. Is your version of Arscroll shows Kirvach or Kirvayich? mine shows Kirvach here.
I believe that the Nuscah "Kirvayich is not correct, and Kirvach is used for both singular and plural, and the understanding is according to each pasuk.
Aharon Gal201-414-7190