[Mesorah] וישב ל"ח י"ב הוא

Yitzhak Ajzner yitzhakajz at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 12:19:08 PST 2023

“(the tipcha would be the main break, but since it's immediately before a stronger mafsiq [the silluq], it's not really a break!).”

The Tipha is the biggest break in the 2nd half of the verse. The fact that it comes immediately before the silluq does not affect this in any way. When one reads these words, the biggest break, between the etnahta and the silluq should be on the tipha. Not sure what you mean, then, that it is not really a break.

“the pasuq intended that the emphasis be on Y'hudah going sheep-shearing w/ his friend (and thus on Tamar's actions).”

I agree with this analysis, but I it does not give a full picture of what is happening here. One needs to address the logical price for emphasizing the shearing in Timna.

In theory, if only logic ruled, and not story-telling considerations, one would have expected the break on Yehuda. It would have been munah zakef. Zarka-Segol only ever appear in the first half of a verse. By putting the main break on HaAdulami, it sounds as if he not only did the shearing, but that is also where he was comforted:

Va’yinahem … Va’ya’al … where? (break) in Timna.

But that is not what the verse means. The being comforted happened beforehand, and is given as the reason that enabled him to go shearing.

So yes, this logic was broken in order to make the shearing the focus of the verse. But one needs to define, and hence limit, when the te’amim are prepared to pull a trick like that: breaking the logic to enhance the story.

Yitzhak