[Mesorah] "Teven" at the end of a pasuk

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 03:22:14 PST 2021

As it was explained to me, geshem/gashem is NOT about differences in the
pronunciation rules. Rather, they are different views about where the
phrase ends. This is explained at length, with many sources and notes, at
https://ohr.edu/this_week/insights_into_halacha/4903

Some feel that that "Mashiv haruach umorid hagashem" is a sentence on its
own, and has a pause after it, and that's why "gashem" has the kamatz. The
opposing view is that this is not an independent sentence, but is just the
first phrase in a long list of phrases, and therefore, the segol appears in
"geshem" exactly the same way as it appears three words later in "chesed".

I concede that the above theory has problems. If "Mashiv haruach
umorid hagashem" is just the first phrase in a long list of phrases, then
perhaps the same should apply to "Morid hatal", and "tal" would have a
patach instead of a kamatz. But I don't think I've ever seen that. [It has
a patach in Barech Alenu, because that is unquestionably in the middle of a
phrase.] According to footnote 15 in the article cited above, Rav Yaakov
Kamenetsky justifies the kamatz in "morid hatal" by explaining that it is
NOT the first phrase of "Mechalkel Chaim B'chesed", but is rather the final
phrase of "Atah Gibor".

When I am the shliach tzibur, I am careful to EITHER say "hagAshem" and
have a long pause afterward, OR say "hagEshem" with a pause no longer than
the one after "b'chesed". I have heard other people make the same sort of
quick pause, but this distinction seems to go over the heads of most.

According to what I have written, if a siddur publisher chooses to put a
segol in "geshem", then they should follow it with a comma (like after
"b'chesed"), and *not* with a period. But alas, I have not seen that
anywhere. And even if they did, I wonder if anyone would notice.

Akiva Miller