[Mesorah] Pitda

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Sun Mar 22 15:12:03 PDT 2020

All this is regarding Biblical Hebrew.
In the Hebrew of Chaza’l there are many, many more examples, partially due to the influence of Aramaic words (such as פתגם, where the tac is without a dagesh, because the word comes from the Aramaic, where it is a borrowing from Persian, where it had a /th/ sound) and other loan words. The Aramaic of Onqulus, which is the Aramaic spoken at the time of Chaza’l, is full of forms where the rules of BG’D KP’T do not work. And that influenced the Hebrew of Chaza’l.
Or maybe the other way round? In languages there are many chickens and eggs lying around, and it is impossible to tell which came first. All that linguistics can show us is that if they were spoken at the same time by the same people, they influence each other.

---
Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer<https://whatisworkspaceone.com/boxer>