[Mesorah] Another kleinigkeit

Sholom Simon sholom at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 3 07:13:36 PDT 2020

I recall (which means any inaccuracies are mine) my mesorah teacher (RSM)
telling me that there are seven instances in this "ogera" - a collection of
ad hoc exceptions to the regular dagesh rules.  Four of them appear in Az
Yashir.  Mi kamocha should be missing a dagesh; two instances of "go’ah
g’ah," the second gimmel should not have a dagesh; at 15:15 ( “k’aven”
instead of “ch’aven").  There's one in Yeshayahu  54:12.  “v’samti
kad’chod.”   (And a few more).

The mesorah on the above is clear: no dagesh.  There is also a tradition of
machlokes in a few other places where we're not sure if the dagesh appears
or not.  One example I'm aware, which is yet another one from Az Yashir, is
15:13 "Am zu go’olata"

FWIW.  (R Seth, the above are from some notes I took while listening to you
in 2011!)

-- Sholom