[Mesorah] a note about L'shon Chazal

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 04:20:11 PDT 2020

These comparisons between koneh and lakach, between l'hadliq and l'haalot
eish ... these conversations are so rich in information, and so very
important for a proper understanding of whichever text we're reading at the
moment. I deeply appreciate and understand these distinctions, but my brain
is too weak to retain them. Oh, how I wish there were a printed reference
work, a bilingual dictionary from Leshon Tanach to Leshon Chazal, and vice
versa. And while we're at it, a third column for Ivrit as well. In so many
respects they are actually 3 separate languages, because it's not just that
the root words have changed their meanings, but even the rules of grammar
have changed.

Is it possible that such a work might already exist? I am NOT asking for a
"History of the Development of the Hebrew Language"; we have plenty of
those. I mean something organized as a reference work, so that someone
could look up a word to insure that my familiarity isn't leading me astray.
And if such a work would be written in a neutral third-party language (like
English) so much the better.

Akiva Miller