[Mesorah] Shmeih -- Mapik Heh

Michael Poppers michaelpoppers at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 18:42:47 PDT 2019

R'Micha responded:
>>    See attached.
> Right. <
(I wasn't aware that the "attach[ed]"ment was sent to Mesorah; but FTR, it
was sent to RSM and to me [and apparently to either R'Micha or Mesorah.)
> My question on the AhS's comment is that he considered "shem Y-H"
to be a yeish omerim. ... And yet still, no mapiq. <
That attachment noted Tos'fos on BT B'rachos and Tur OC 56.  The main part
of my response to the sender of that attachment:
---

For my part, given that
-- the relevant phrases in Qaddish are in Aramaic;
-- not only the Aramaic word for "*shmo*" but also the *heih* in the _
*peirush*_ (I emphasize that word, used by Tur et al., because it's not the
same as the pronunciation) "sheim Yud-Heih" (based on the "*ki yad*..."
source) is *mappiq*; and
-- AFAIK no *rishon* advocates pronouncing the relevant Qaddish phrases as
"sheim..." rather than "shmei",
I think RSM wrote well on Mesorah re this matter.

---
Is it possible that the AhS did not mean to leave the *mappiq* out (i.e.
that this is a printer's error), or does his commentary exclude that
possibility?