[Mesorah] Matzah

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 19:58:08 PDT 2019

Is the word "matzah" (unleavened bread) related to any specific
three-letter root? I am aware that a great many nouns do not have a
specific root as such, but some do, and I was hoping to find one.

My first guess was either mem-tzadi-heh or mem-tzadi-tzadi, because of all
the moisture that has been removed (sucked out) from the matzah, but this
is absent from either of those headings in R' Clark's "Etymological
Dictionary" based on Rav Hirsch. I also expected this question to appear
directly in RSR Hirsch's writings, but I did not see it anywhere in Shmos
12.

Any ideas?

advTHANKSance

Akiva Miller