[Mesorah] amecha - amcha

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Wed Oct 23 10:53:42 PDT 2019

I was looking at the Masorah for some of the t'hillim we say on Shabbos and Yontev, and noticed the Masoretic comment on the word ‘avdekha in T'hillim 19:14 (the same note is on some of the other places, e.g. Numbers 11:11(:
ז' בליש' וכל אתנח' וסופ' פסוק' כות' ב''מ'א'
"The form ‘avdekha [woth the segol] appears 7 times in the T'NaKh besides where it appears with an etnahta or sof pasuq, where it always occurs except for one case."
This is exactly what we were discussing: the pausal form occurs almost always with a etnahta or sof pasuq, but also appears in several cases with other trop.
This was just to show that also the Ba'alei Masorah were sensitive to this phenomenon, and sometimes remark on it.
In all cases, there is a pause in the meaning.
An example that we use Musaf on Yontev is the verse from Deut. 16:16:
שָׁל֣וֹשׁ פְּעָמִ֣ים ׀ בַּשָּׁנָ֡ה יֵֽרָאֶ֨ה כָל־זְכֽוּרְךָ֜ אֶת־פְּנֵ֣י ׀ יְהוָ֣ה אֱלֹהֶ֗יךָ בַּמָּקוֹם֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר יִבְחָ֔ר בְּחַ֧ג הַמַּצּ֛וֹת וּבְחַ֥ג הַשָּֽׁבֻע֖וֹת וּבְחַ֣ג הַסֻּכּ֑וֹת וְלֹ֧א יֵֽרָאֶ֛ה אֶת־פְּנֵ֥י יְהוָ֖ה רֵיקָֽם׃
Note the form yivhar with a qomatz, the trop is a zaqef qatan.  Yivhar with a qamatz would be normal with an etnahta or sof pasuq, but also occurs with other trop if there is a pause in the reading.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel