[Mesorah] Hoshanot: Samech vs Sin

Sholom Simon sholom90 at mail.gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 11:30:35 PDT 2019

And in Ha'aderes v'He'emuna, we have, at the place where a samech would be:
siguy (with a samech) but segev (with a sin)

It seems spelling did change over time . . . e.g., the word Sota -- in
Torah with a sin *Bamidbar 5:12, 5:29), in Talmud with a samech, which is
why Rambam is insistent on using a sin, but (most?) everybody else used a
samech.

But what I thought RHT was asking about was the *pattern* he saw, rather
than simply a replacement of sin/samech.