[Mesorah] Hoshanot: Samech vs Sin

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 10:58:03 PDT 2019

Same thing in Kel Adon and lots of other places, like last week's Al Chet -
Sikur ayin and Siach sifsoseinu. I  once make a list of them, but I'm not
home right now. If you want a project for yomtov afternoon,  just grab a
few machzorim (don't forget kinos and selichos!) and go on a treasure hunt.

WHY and HOW this happened is far beyond me. These authors seem to have been
geniuses at fancy Hebrew grammar -- I can't accept that these are
rudimentary spelling errors. Maybe the "correct" spelling changed over time
(like the yud that was added to David in Divrei Hayamim), but for such a
great variety of words?

I'm confident that Rabbi Mandell will come along and enlighten us, but
YomTov will be here soon, so I wanted to post this just in case.

Akiva Miller