[Mesorah] Tekiaseinu

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Thu Oct 3 10:43:34 PDT 2019

As I said, there is nothing really wrong with translating t'qi‘ah as "blast." But for those asking grammatical questions (such as why is it not in the plural) one has to go back to the origin of the form.
Teqa‘ is modern Hebrew, one of the more successful inventions of ha'Aqademiyya lalLashon ha‘Ivri for the modern term "plug."  There was no need for such a term before electic wiring, so all languages had to invent a term.  For example, the English word "plug" meant something else entirely until it was adopted for the new-fangled electical invention.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel