[Mesorah] "P'nimiyus"

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Wed Jun 6 10:43:39 PDT 2018

My question was about the origin of the phrase in its current meanings.

Once a phrase is popularized, it is used by everyone, because the new meaning is not considered strange anymore.

A slightly different example: before chasidus, no one shockled during davening (not any Jews anywhere that I have heard about).  Swayed, yes, but no one calls swaying "shockeling."  After chasidim popularized it, it was not considered strange any more and was adopted by almost all groups.

It was never seen in the old days in Breuer's or Teimani shuls.  Nowadays, however, even some Teimani younger guys have started doing it.  I do not know about what goes on now in Breuer's.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union

Voice (212) 613-8330     Fax (212) 613-0718     e-mail mandels at ou.org