[Mesorah] "P'nimiyus"

Toby Katz t613k at aol.com
Wed Jun 6 11:28:19 PDT 2018

 In a message dated 6/6/2018 1:44:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, mesorah at lists.aishdas.org writes:
A slightly different example: before chasidus, no one shockled during davening [-- Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel]

Since I have known shuckeling in davening all my life, it comes as news to me that there was no such thing before chassidus came along.  Admittedly, my life post-dates the advent of chassidism.  Maybe the action existed but not the Yiddish word for it?

There is even a Torah reason for shuckeling, Tehillim 35:10
"Kol atzmosai tomarna....All my bones will say, Hashem who is like You?"

I didn't make that up.  It's really a thing.

--Toby
--Toby Katz
t613k at aol.com