[Mesorah] "P'nimiyus"

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Wed Jun 6 05:48:45 PDT 2018

so Ohr haChaim is possibly the source for the chasidic usage, since he was very much used by them.  As was the alSheikh.

The Malbim is after the advent of Chasidus.

The AlSheikh is the earliest, and he was a talmid of the M'habber and one of the rebbis of R. Chaim Vital.  But he was not a talmid of the Ari, and although he lived at the time, his works do not use qabbolo much except for references to the Zohar.  In one of his letters, he discusses his education and never mentions qabbolo.

Which leads me back to my original question: despite the claims made, I do not remember either the Ari nor the Vilner Gaon using the term when they refer to qabbolo.

I am not quibbling (although curmudgeons such as I do that all the time).  I am trying to discover the origin of the notion that "p'nimiyus haTorah" is taken as separate method/\area of study vs. "chitzoniyus haTorah," which is the way it seems to be used nowadays.  That is a major change from just referring to ideas that are indicated but not mentioned explicitly.  The latter is more akin to the idea of "Da'as Torah" advanced nowadays, which means that it is implicit but not explicit, but is not considered (yet?) a separate area for study.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel