[Mesorah] Translation of the verb "yiv'al"

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Feb 13 07:21:51 PST 2018

On 13/02/18 06:22, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 08:44:00PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> : >Metzidas David: misyashvim yachad mibeli pirud. Live in the same home
> : >and never part, or intimacy without clothing separating them?
> :
> : You keep stretching for something that will disturb the
> : correspondence between the mashal and nimshal, when merely taking
> : the meforshim at their word explains it perfectly...

> Exactly. The meforshim are explaining a mashal, and therefore aren't
> looking at translating. For that matter, that would be typical of
> Targum Yonasan as well.
>
> I don't take any of it as a proof that Yeshaiah meant the word differently
> than the later known meaning.

Rashi and Metzudos are always looking at translating, and then
explaining how the mashal works.  Here they *translate* be`ilah as
entering the state of cohabitation, plain and simple, and therefore the
application to the nimshal is obvious.  We will "cohabit" with the land,
just as we cohabit with each other.

For that matter Metzudas Tziyon is only, ever, about pure translation,
and it translates "be`ulah" as "meyusheves".

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 2018 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper