[Mesorah] Translation of the verb "yiv'al"

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Feb 13 09:17:40 PST 2018

I started by asking was Chazal's usage of \בעל\ as old as Yeshaiah.
Answer: yes. RSM cited eishes yefas to'ar and ואחר כן תבוא אליה ובעלתה
והיתה לך לאשה.

Now I want to ask the reverse question: Is this shoresh used as a verb
ever to mean anything else?

If the answer is "no", then we'd have to assume TY and the peirushim
are not giving precise translations, no?

Micha Berger             The same boiling water
micha at aishdas.org        that softens the potato, hardens the egg.
http://www.aishdas.org   It's not about the circumstance,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      but rather what you are made of.