[Mesorah] Translation of the verb "yiv'al"

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Feb 13 03:22:15 PST 2018

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 08:44:00PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
: >Metzidas David: misyashvim yachad mibeli pirud. Live in the same home
: >and never part, or intimacy without clothing separating them?
:
: You keep stretching for something that will disturb the
: correspondence between the mashal and nimshal, when merely taking
: the meforshim at their word explains it perfectly...

Exactly. The meforshim are explaining a mashal, and therefore aren't
looking at translating. For that matter, that would be typical of
Targum Yonasan as well.

I don't take any of it as a proof that Yeshaiah meant the word differently
than the later known meaning.

Which is what, after all, I asked for. We know how the word was used by
Chazal (eg ein adam oseh be'ilaso be'ilas zenus). The stretch would be
to say without real evidence that they didn't use the word the same way
as in Tanakh.

Micha Berger             Brains to the lazy
micha at aishdas.org        are like a torch to the blind --
http://www.aishdas.org   a useless burden.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                 - Bechinas haOlam