[Mesorah] Paane'ach

Akiva Miller via Mesorah mesorah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Mar 19 09:26:00 PDT 2017

I'm interested in the 4-letter root peh, ayin, nun, ches. I had thought
this was an Egyptian word, since (according to my concordance) it appears
in Tanach only once, in the name that Paroh gave to Yosef.

But I recently realized that it also appears in the Nusach Sefard version
of Nishmas, in the phrase, "v'ham'faane'ach ne'elamim". And yesterday, I
saw it twice in the same paragraph (Kip'on, right after Mechayeh Hameisim)
of Yotzros for Parshas Parah.

Does it appear anywhere else? Is there any evidence that it is an Egyptian
word that was accepted into Hebrew? Or can one argue that it has always
been Hebrew, and (like Tzafnas seems to be) is just the Hebrew translation
of whatever name it was that Paroh gave to Yosef?

Just wondering.

advTHANKSance
Akiva Miller