[Mesorah] mishneh-kesef

Danny Levy danestlev at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 11:38:47 PST 2017

R' Seth,

In your example

עֵינֵי-כֹל אֵלֶיךָ יְשַׂבֵּרוּ, וְאַתָּה נוֹתֵן-לָהֶם אֶת-אָכְלָם בְּעִתּוֹ.

the g'aya on EInei-CHOL is understandable as a sort of Nasog Achor, but why
is it NOtein-laHEM rather than noTEIN-laHEM?  Not only do the words not
have adjacent stressed syllables, but long closed syllables such as TEIN
almost invariably have a ta'am or at least a g'aya.

There was a similar strange g'aya on words joined by a maqaf in last week's
parsha: vinYAmin-aKHIV (Gen 45:14) rather than vinyaMIN-aKHIV (although MIN
is not a long closed syllable).

Might the explanation be that when two words are joined by a maqaf, the
first one loses its stress as you wrote, and then it is able to receive a
g'aya if the new large word has a suitable syllable (in these cases a
g'aya qala on the open syllable) even if the result is totally foreign to
the word when not joined by a maqaf?

Danny Levy