[Mesorah] mishneh-kesef

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Wed Dec 27 12:21:21 PST 2017

Your second explanation is closer to the truth, but it is not accurate.  The first word loses its stress.  Where the secondary stress reappears is by no means certain or subject to hard and fast rules; it is a matter of the Masorah, which is why Ben Asher and Ben Naftali argue about so many ge‘ayot.  And it appears in all sorts of unexpected places.  Very often on a sh'wa.  Unfortunately, the page I sent you does not have the last pasuk of T'hilla l'David, or you would see a ge‘aya on the sh'wa of y'dabber-pi.  In the page I sent, you can see one in the preceding kapital, 3 lines before the bottom: miyyad b'ne-nekhar, with a ge‘aya next to the sh'wa.

Rabbi Dr. Seth Mandel
Rabbinic Coordinator
The Orthodox Union

Voice (212) 613-8330     Fax (212) 613-0718     e-mail mandels at ou.org